I would like to share a little about me. I’m a sports nut. Unfortunately, that does not make one athletic. I played baseball, basketball, football and golf for a lot of my life. But as it turns out, I’m a little better at writing than I am at hitting, shooting or throwing. And I’m okay with that.
I am currently a freshman in pre-journalism at Kansas State University, a school I have loved and supported my entire life. I’ve attended every home football game the Wildcats have played since 1997.
My professional teams of choice are the Kansas City Chiefs, Kansas City Royals (Lord help me), Orlando Magic and my newest addition, Sporting Kansas City.
I like to let the world know my opinion on almost anything, but especially sports. This website will be the place to find it, along with my Twitter page.
The name comes from Manhattan’s abbreviated/air control name, KMHK.
Feedback is very, very important to me! So please let me know of any questions, comments, concerns or (hopefully) compliments that you have. My email: firstname.lastname@example.org is the place for that.
A look at my background, journalistic experience and resume as a reporter:
- 2011 graduate of Manhattan High School (KS)
- Began professional journalism in 2008, at age 15
- Spent 3 years on staff of The Mentor, weekly student-operated newspaper at MHS
- Spent 3 semesters as sports editor of The Mentor and wrote about 200 articles in total, designing approximately 75 pages
- Spent 2 years on staff of the Blue M yearbook, designing about a dozen pages and writing approximately 30 articles
- Placed 1st in Newspaper Sports Writing at Kansas Scholastic Press Association Regional Competition in 2011
- Placed 3rd in Newspaper Sports Writing at Kansas Scholastic Press Association State Competition in 2011
- Broken news on conference alignment, the ‘Save EMAW’ campaign and other high-profile stories with exclusive interviews with Kansas State administration before it reached the Kansas City Star, USA Today, ESPN and other media outlets
- Currently working as an MHS beat writer for the Manhattan Mercury
- Currently working as board operator, reporter and statistician for 1350 AM-KMAN radio
- Former staff writer and sports columnist for the Kansas State Collegian
- Currently working as a K-State analyst on 91.9 FM-KSDB radio
- Currently working as a contributing writer for Powercat Illustrated and GoPowercat.com
- As of 2011, I’ve had over 100,000 words of published work in articles and commentaries
Again, enjoy the site. And be sure to follow me on Twitter (click here), because as the USA Today correctly stated:
“Twitter creates an opportunity for journalists to make more of an impact than they ever have before.”